Thursday 2 February 2012

Leading the Way

I spent last Saturday at an all day beginners tango workshop... as a leader.

My introduction to tango was attending the very same course as a follower and I heartily recommend it to anyone. My lasting memory from it is less about the tango I learned, and more about the people I met there and the friendships that started on that day a few years ago.

It's been a while since that first workshop with White Rose Tango, and I have to say that this time I was even more wowed by it than before.  The warm welcoming atmosphere played a part in that, but the quality and volume of useful things that I was reminded of during the day was what really struck me this time.  I'm sure that if I had been there to follow, I would have taken just as much from it - even as an 'experienced' follower. The advantage of revisiting basic workshops two years on is that I'll (maybe) be able to retain more of it as it's not so much of a shock to the system.

As far as my leading is going - it's been 5 weeks now and it still seems way out of my reach to be anywhere near competent (which is probably about right for my following too!) but I'm really enjoying having the opportunity to see things from the other side.

On the plus side, it turns out that tango really is fun.  When it's not frustrating and annoying and impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment