Saturday 28 January 2012

The Craft of Comedy

This week I went to see Josie Long.

The first time I went to see her was before she started winning awards left, right and centre. I remember her from then - way back in 2004 or 2005 because of the hand drawn picture of people on a bus that she brought along to illustrate her comedy, and the handmade badges she made and gave out at the end of the gig.  I still have mine:


Six (or seven) years on, and some awards later, she still has the same exuberant personality that I vaguely recall her sharing with the audience as she pointed out the detail on her childlike drawing of some people on a bus.

It turns out that she's still making people laugh, and still making stuff to give out to the audience.  On this occasion, it was the programme:


I don't remember any of Josie Long's jokes (I can't say I really remember any comedians' jokes) but I do remember her. Part of that is because she made things which once upon a time made me laugh and now I own some things that she made which I can attach to my clothes or read to remind me to care a bit more about politics and stuff.  I might throw some programmes away after they've cluttered up the junk drawer for a while - but I think this one will survive many-a-spring clean.  After all, it contains the power of the hand made...


No comments:

Post a Comment